Your Valentine's Day Menu
February 08, 2019 - Posted by
With Valentine’s Day being on a weekday this year why not save some cash, avoid busy restaurants, and keep your heart healthy and happy by staying in?! Whether you are spending time with someone special, making your own heart happy by treating yourself, or you have some children in tow, you can create this entire menu with minimal time spent cooking and please all sophistications of palettes sitting at your table.
Course 1: The Appetizer
Spinach Caprese Side Salad
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, (1/2 in balls or squares)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Add the spinach, tomatoes and mozzarella into a serving bowl. Sprinkle the basil over the salad and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss the salad and serve.
Course 2: The Entree
Sheet Pan Italian Chicken and Veggies
- 4 small 6-8 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
1 pin cherry tomatoes (whole)
- 1 medium zucchini (diced into ¾ in)
- 2 cups green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Place the chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Add half of the mixture to the Ziploc bag with chicken and squish the bag around until the chicken breasts are coated.
- Let the chicken sit while you prepare the vegetables. As you cut add the vegetables to the mixing bowl with the rest of the mixture.
- When ready to cook line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place the chicken breasts in the center of the pan and then arrange the vegetables around them. Drizzle any extra amounts of the mixture over the ingredients on the pan, then cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Tortilla or flatbreadIngredients
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves (shredded)
- 3-4 sliced cherry tomatoes
- Preheat a pan over medium heat.
- Put the tortilla in the pan and on one half add the tomatoes, basil leaves, and mozzarella.
- Fold the tortilla over and let cook until cheese is fully melted. Gently flip it over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the tortilla is golden brown.
- Let cool for about 2 minutes, slice and serve!
Course 3: The Dessert – Choose your own adventure
1. Classic Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
2. Healthy Brownie Batter Dip – If you are looking for something new to try and are open to the thought of a few healthier substitutes, I promise this actually tastes good! Cut up some fruit (my favorites are apples and strawberries), dip and enjoy!
Staying Active On A Snowy Day
Hot Takes On Heart Health
Five Ways To Fight The Winter Blues